The Nintendo Wii-U might have seemed too similar to the Nintendo Wii for casual consumers, but it did deliver its own share of indie games and emulated classics as well as quality first-party titles. Let’s now learn how to connect the Wii-U to your TV!
Released in 2012, the Nintendo Wii-U was supposed to be the backward-compatible successor to the highly successful Wii of 2006. However, it underperformed with sales of 13 million units. It’s the lowest-selling console of the 8th generation of game consoles.
When compared to the huge successes of the Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One, the Wii-U ended up in third place of a race of three.
How to Connect Wii-U to TV?
You have three types of cable to use when connecting your Wii-U to a television set. You have the Wii component video cable, the Wii AV cable (RCA), and the HDMI cable. Use whichever connection standard offers you the best quality and whichever ports are available on your TV.
Afterwards, place the Wii-U console at least 4 inches or 10 centimeters away from surfaces like walls that may block its ventilation. Also, turn your TV off for now. From there, connect the HDMI/AV/component cable to the same port found on your HDTV.
Connect the other end to your Wii-U console then turn your TV on. Switch to the input you used (either HDMI1/2 or AV1/2) in order to get to the Wii-U home screen. You can start gaming from there.
What Does the Wii-U Bring to the Table Compared to the Wii?
The Wii-U had its share of successes, like validating the independent gaming scene and helping progress the retrogaming scene. Its GamePad controller allowed for some interesting and creative gameplay decisions.
It also had blockbuster titles like Mario Kart 8, which sold 8.46 million units. It’s also known for games like Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U, Super Smash Bros. for Wii-U, Nintendo Land, Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, New Super Luigi U, The Wind Waker HD, and Mario Party 10.
It might be one of the lower-selling consoles of Nintendo—even the NES and SNES did better than it—but its GamePad gimmick does combine portable and home console gaming in ways reminiscent of the Switch.
The Wii-U was All About the GamePad
At the time of its release, the Wii-U was considered a strange beast of a console. Like with the Wii and its motion controls, Nintendo gambled hard on the GamePad. However, this time their gamble didn’t pay off.
People thought the Wii-U was an accessory released for the Wii (think the Sega CD or the Sega 32X linked directly on a Sega Genesis) rather than being a standalone console.
- A Portable Console Controller? The GamePad controller is like a mobile device—a tablet such as the iPad, to be more specific—that has a built-in touchscreen. This allows gamers to do things like make stages in Super Mario Maker while staring at the GamePad instead of the TV.
- Streaming Visuals on Two Screens: The Wii-U can wirelessly stream its visuals to the TV it’s connected to and the GamePad at the same time. This also means that theoretically, you can keep on gaming on the GamePad long after you’ve turned off your TV as well (not really).
- Alternating Screens and Multiplayer Possibilities: At the time of Wii-U’s release, many people envisioned an enhanced multiplayer experience where players can alternate between the two screens or some looked at the TV while others looked at the GamePad.
- How the GamePad was Implemented Instead: Many non-Nintendo games implemented the GamePad as an afterthought. Nintendo games used it as an alternate screen for certain game events you can only see through it, but it was mostly used as a touchscreen game controller.
- Play the Games on the Controller without the TV: You can play certain Wii-U games by looking only at the GamePad but you can’t play any Wii-U games with the GamePad only. You still need to have the TV turned on. The Switch can be played without a TV.
- Why Did the GamePad Fail and the Switch Succeed? The Switch went all-in on the portable console concept while the GamePad seems more like a half-baked attempt at a hybrid console. The Switch also wasn’t used as a controller for the main game console—it is the console.
How was the Wii-U Received at the Time of Its Release?
At the time when the Nintendo Wii-U was the newest game machine of Nintendo, expectations rode high because in the 7th generation of game consoles, the Nintendo Wii managed to beat the PlayStation 3 in sales by about 20 million by the end of their life cycle.
While the Wii was the 4th or 5th best-selling console of all time (currently 7th), the Wii-U instead ranked somewhere in 19th or 20th best-selling of all time (currently 23rd).
- Precursor to the Switch: Like the PS3 following the footsteps of the PS2 (the best-selling console of all time even to this day in 2022), the Wii-U itself also faltered and pushed Nintendo to combine its portable game console with its home game console to create the Switch.
- Most of Its Best-Sellers Were First-Party: Its top ten best-selling games of all time were all Nintendo-made titles. Third-party developers had a harder time developing worthwhile games from the underpowered Wii-U and its GamePad-centric gaming gimmick.
- The Casual Audience: The same casual audience that the Wii managed to win over with the Wii and Wii Sports viewed the Wii-U as not a next-gen console but more of the same motion-control console with a tablet gimmick this time around.
- The GamePad: While the gimmick of the Nintendo Wii was its motion controls and its Wii Remote, the focus of the Wii-U was this GamePad that looks like a portable game console in and of itself. Almost like the precursor to the much more successful Nintendo Switch, even.
How do I hook up my Wii to my HDMI TV?
There are many adapters that allow you to connect your Wii to an HDMI port, by plugging directly into the console. This makes adapters like the Portholic Wii to HDMI Converter easy to use. Connect the HDMI adapter into the back of your Wii. Then insert your HDMI cable into the adapter.
Why won’t my Wii work on my TV?
Try using a different cable. Try a Wii AV Cable or a Wii Component Video Cable. You will need to ensure the TV is set to the correct input settings if you switch cables. It can take up to a minute for the Wii U console to detect that a Wii AV Cable/Wii Component Video Cable is connected.
Can you convert AV to HDMI?
Fortunately, this can be accomplished relatively easily through the use of an AV-to-HDMI converter. Converter hardware typically takes the form of a portable hardware box with AV-input and HDMI-output capabilities.
Is Wii to HDMI good?
Goodeliver Wii to HDMI Converter
Despite having a lower price tag, the build quality of the adapter is decent and offers excellent audio/video output. That said, the adapter has a 3.5mm jack, and works flawlessly with TVs and monitors having up to 1080p screen resolutions.
How do I connect my old Wii to my LG Smart TV?
How do I connect my Wii to my LG Smart TV?
- Place the Wii console near the LG TV, on a shelf or TV stand.
- Plug the AV Multi out cable plug into the AV output on the back of the console, above the DC input port.
- Plug the RCA plugs into the corresponding inputs on the AV-1 or AV-2 inputs on the LG TV.
What are the USB ports on the back of the Wii used for?
Usefully, those two USB ports can come into play again: simply plug in a USB keyboard and you can type away on Hotmail or Google Mail to your heart’s content. As you may already know, the Wii Photo Channel lets you take photos from a digital camera’s SD card and draw on them or turn them into jigsaws.
What cables does a Wii need?
Just connect one to your Nintendo Wii, hook up a HDMI cable and plug it into your TV. View the output on the HDMI channel using Input Select on your TV remote.
How do you hook up a Wii to a TV without AV cables?
If you’ve been wondering how to connect your Wii to a TV without the AV cables, this is the answer. Just connect one to your Nintendo Wii, hook up a HDMI cable and plug it into your TV. View the output on the HDMI channel using Input Select on your TV remote.
Does AV to HDMI work for Wii?
If you’re trying to take your Wii and connect it to a 720p or 1080p television, you can grab the Wiistar Wii to HDMI Converter without worry. It will get the job done. You won’t have to worry about a poor connection, and you won’t have to worry about whether or not the adapter will work with your TV.
Is the Wii 1080P?
The Wii to HDMI converts your Wii video and audio output to full digital HDMI format. It supports all Wii display modes including: NTSC 480i, 480p, PAL 576i automatically, and upscales them to HDMI 720P or 1080P. The HDMI output is either 720P (default) or 1080P, please make sure your TV can support 720P or 1080P.
Why is Wii blurry on HDTV?
Some Wii software supports a 480p progressive output that displays at an enhanced quality compared to the standard 576i display. To view Wii display output in 480p, you must change your Wii’s TV Resolution setting from 50Hz (576i) or 60Hz (480i) to EDTV/HDTV (480p). Confirm your selection once it’s complete.
Can you connect a Wii with a USB cable?
Does Wii have a USB? The Wii console has 2 USB ports. … Please note that the Wii LAN adapter needs to be connected directly to the Wii console’s USB port or to a self-powered USB hub.
How do you hook up a Wii to a RCA flat screen TV?
How To Connect Nintendo Wii to TV
Do they still make Wii remotes?
The Wii Remote, also known colloquially as the Wiimote, is the primary game controller for Nintendo’s Wii home video game console.Wii Remote Plus.
|Wii Remote Plus (left) & Wii Remote with Motion Plus accessory (right)
|WW : 2017
What can you do with an old Wii?
Awesome Things You Can Do With an Old Wii
- Install independent homebrew community games.
- Develop your own indie projects.
- Turn your Wii into a media center.
- Play DVDs on the Wii.
- Install Linux and use the Wii as a PC.
- Host Minecraft network games.
- Remotely control your PC over VNC.
- Use the Wii as an alarm clock.
Does Wii U have Bluetooth?
The Wii U does use Bluetooth for it’s peripherals but there is no interface for use outside of first party products. If you need to get audio directly from the console you could try use the AV out on the back if you have Wii component cables laying around.
Can I connect my phone to Wii?
One way to connect to the Internet using your Wii is by using an iPhone. Connecting your iPhone to your Wii means that you’ll be able to use the Internet using your Wii console. Unlike some Android phones, you won’t need to download a program that allows your phone to be a Wi-Fi hotspot if you have an iPhone.
What source is Wii on TV?
Insert the AV Multi Out plug on the Wii AV Cable into the AV Multi Out connector on the back of the console. Once the cables are inserted and the Wii console is powered on, you must find the Input Select for your TV to view the game.
Where Do You Go From Here?
The Wii-U might be a mixed bag when compared to the huge success of the Wii, but the Wii-U’s backwards compatibility, emulation of older consoles, and plethora of retrogame re-releases added more to its replay value compared to the deluge of shovelware that buried its predecessor.
In term of connecting the Wii-U to TVs, it’s one of the easier ones to do so because it has AV RCA, component video, and HDMI ports available, which covers a wide range of TVs you can connect it to (from CRTs to HDTVs as well as smart TVs).