Smart TVs like those made by Sony should be able to connect to your home Wi-Fi network in order to allow you to use the device like a PC or mobile gadget to download apps with. Here’s how you can specifically connect a Sony TV to your Wi-Fi.
Smart TVs are “smart” in that they’re PC-like. Cellular phones that are smartphones can download different apps and do different things with them just like a cellphone-sized PC. Ditto when you have a smart doorbell that can work with an app and use Wi-Fi for downloading updates.
On that note, let’s discuss how to connect sony tv to wifi. To be specific, we’ll cover how to connect the Sony Bravia Smart TV to Wi-Fi to give you an idea on how to connect Sony TVs to Wi-Fi in general.
How to Connect Sony TV to Wi-Fi
Before starting, make sure your router and modem have been setup and your network is connected to the Internet. You can also disconnect several devices connected to Wi-Fi to prevent the smart TV from pushing your Wi-Fi to its bandwidth limits.
Refer to your router manual or manufacturer in order to get configuration details. You can also contact your Internet provider in case you have online connectivity issues.
- LAN Adapter: Connect the UWA-BR100 wireless LAN adapter to your Sony TV’s USB input if it’s a LAN-ready TV instead of one with a built-in wireless LAN. Most newer Bravia or smart Sony TVs have the built-in wireless LAN included, thus you don’t need the adapter for them.
- Check Your Manual: As a rule of thumb, get your user manual for the Sony Bravia. Have it on hand in order to answer questions like whether your TV model requires the USB LAN adapter or not as well as potential troubleshooting.
- Network Setup: Press the “Home” button on your remote control. Now select “Settings”. The way to navigate the “Settings” menu will vary depending on the network setup options available on your TV menu.
- Navigation: Follow the steps accordingly or as prompted by what’s displayed. Select “Preferences”, “Setup”, “Network”, and “Network Setup” or “Setup Network Connection”. Some TVs go to “Network Setup” and “Setup Network Connection” directly. Go to “Expert”.
- Auto Custom or Wireless LAN: On the “Expert” tab, select “Auto Custom”. If you don’t see this option, select “Wireless”, “Wireless Setup”, or “Wireless LAN” instead. Choose the available connection method you wish to use to connect your TV to your home Wi-FI.
- Follow the On-Screen Instructions: The connection method you choose will lead you to on-screen instructions you simply need to follow. This varies from route type and settings. Expect to get prompted to enter the Wi-Fi usermame and password at some point.
Built-In LAN versus LAN-Ready Sony TVs
Your Sony smart TV with a built-in wireless LAN device should allow you to access the Internet and Wi-Fi without requiring a separate adapter. The LAN device is the one that connects to your Wi-Fi network by pressing in its username and password, like you would when connecting your phone to Wi-Fi.
This is in contrast with a wireless LAN-ready device that requires such an adapter to connect to Wi-Fi. It’s ready for the adapter but won’t work without it.
What the Wireless LAN Adapter Brings to the Table
If your Sony Bravia HDTV is of the Wi-Fi Ready variety instead of the 2022 Bravia with built-in LAN, you need to get a separate UWA-BR100 wireless LAN adapter with USB connector. This adapter plugs into the USB port of your TV and comes with WPS (Wi-FI Protected Setup) functionality.
It’s obviously preferable to have the Wi-Fi connectivity included with your device like with a PC or mobile phone. However, if it isn’t you simply need to get the LAN adapter to make your Wi-Fi ready Bravia Wi-Fi connected.
If you’ve missed out in getting the UWA-BR100 wireless LAN adapter (since it’s no longer available), you can buy it secondhand or you can use a powerline adapter, wireless bridge, or gaming adapter instead.
How to Use WEP Security with a Wireless Router
To use WEP security with an access point or Wi-Fi router, select “Expert”, “Custom”, or “Scan” on your TV menu. If you lack knowledge of the SSID (wireless network name) and security key (could either be a WPA or WEP key) of your router, go to the manual of the router.
- Entering the Entry Screen: When the WPA security key entry screen prompt appears, press the “Enter” button to get the on-screen keyboard to appear.
- Typing in the Security Key: The security key or password distinguishes between upper case and lower case letters. In other words, it’s case sensitive, so input the key correctly and carefully. Common typing mistakes can include the following:
- I (Capital Letter I) and 1 (Number One).
- 9 (Number Nine) and q (Small Letter Q).
- d (Small Letter D) and b (Small Letter B).
- 0 (Number Zero) and O (Capital Letter O).
- Switching from Capital to Small Letters: In order to switch between upper case and lower case letters or numbers and symbols using your remote control, please refer to this Sony TV user guide.
- Default Proxy Setting: In most cases, the Proxy Setting is “No” and the IP Address Setting is “Auto”. Call your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if you’re not sure if a proxy connection has been set up with your Internet.
- Connection Diagnosis: Some Sony smart TV models have “Connection Diagnosis” available. Activate this feature if you can’t connect your TV to the Internet. Or call Sony technical support for more details.
- Error Code 2200: If the Error Code 2200 is displayed when connecting your Sony Bravia to the Internet, refer to the page about it. This error means you can’t connect to the Internet and it may be because of the wrong security key, radiowave interference, and so forth.
Why won’t my Sony Bravia TV connect to the internet?
Check the network status by pressing HOME > Settings > Network > Network Settings > Advanced Settings > View Network Status. If your TV detects your Wi-Fi network but can’t connect, restore the Wi-Fi settings of your TV to defaults, and try scanning the Wi-Fi signal again. Make sure to enter the correct password.
How do I connect wired TV to the internet?
How to connect
- Find the Ethernet port on the back of your TV.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from your router to the port on your TV.
- Select Menu on your TV’s remote and then go to Network Settings.
- Select the option to enable wired internet.
- Type your Wi-Fi password using your remote’s buttons.
Can Sony Bravia connect to internet?
Bring wireless Internet access to your Wi-Fi® ready BRAVIA™ HDTV with the UWA-BR100 wireless LAN adapter. This adapter plugs into your USB input on your TV, and with WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) functionality it’s simple to get your TV connected to your home network no matter what type of Wi-Fi you are using.
How do I manually connect to wired internet?
How to connect an Ethernet cable?
- Plug an Ethernet cable into your computer.
- Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into one of your hub’s Ethernet ports.
- You should now have established an Ethernet connection, and your computer is now ready to start surfing the internet.
How can I connect my Sony Bravia to Wi-Fi without a dongle?
Follow the steps below.
- Press the HOME button on the remote.
- Select Settings.
- Select Network.
- Select Network setup.
- Select Set up network connection or Wireless Setup.
- Select the connection method.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
Is a Sony Bravia TV a Smart TV?
Android TVs have been included as part of Sony’s TV line-up since 2015, and Google TVs were introduced beginning in 2021.
Does Sony Bravia have an Ethernet port?
How to connect your 2011 BRAVIA to a wired network
Why does my Sony TV say Ethernet is not connected?
Check the cable connections between your modem/router and the internet service to your home/building. Connect the network cable to a different LAN port on the router. It’s possible that a LAN port on the router has failed. Try a different network cable.
Where does the Ethernet cable plug into?
To connect it to your computer, plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet or LAN port on the back of your modem, then plug the other end into the Ethernet port on the back of your computer. Your modem should come with an Ethernet cable, but any old Ethernet cable will do.
How do I use the Sony Wireless USB LAN adapter?
How to connect your 2011 BRAVIA to a wireless (WiFi) network
Why is my wired Internet not working?
Plug the Ethernet Cable into a Different Port
If it’s been a minute and it still isn’t working, try plugging the cable into another port on the router. If this works, it means your router is faulty and it might be time for you to replace it. If that still doesn’t work, you can try swapping your ethernet cables.
Why is my Ethernet saying no Internet?
If the Ethernet network is enabled, but says Unidentified network, you need to disable and re-enable it. This is a very common occurrence on Windows machines and the solution is simple – go to Network Connection, right click the Ethernet network, click on Disable and then on Enable.
Why is my Ethernet not connecting?
If Wi-Fi is disabled and you’re still not getting a network connection, make sure that ethernet is enabled in the same Network and Internet Settings section. Find the right network. It will likely say Local Area Connection. If you see Not connected below the name, right-click it and select Enable.
Where is the WPA key on a Sony BRAVIA TV?
On the computer, select Control Panel on Start menu. Select Connect to a network. Select DIRECT-xx-BRAVIA or the SSID which displayed on TV. Information for connection (SSID and WPA key) is displayed.
What is this SSID?
The SSID (Service Set Identifier) is the name of your wireless network, also known as Network ID. This is viewable to anyone with a wireless device within reachable distance of your network. It’s recommended you set up a password so not just anybody can connect to your network.
How do I connect my non smart TV to Wi-Fi?
Connect Via Various Streaming Gadgets
- Plug your device cable into your TV’s HDMI port.
- Plugin your USB cable into your device as well as your TV USB port.
- Switch on your old TV and pair the input with your device.
- Download the required app if you need to via internet.
- Accept all the escape clauses to begin streaming.
What is the difference between Sony and Sony Bravia?
Bravia (stylized as BRAVIA) is a brand of Sony Visual Products Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation, and used for its television products. Its backronym is “Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture”.
How do I update my old Sony Bravia TV?
Steps to update the software of your TV
- Select Settings.
- Select Customer Support, Setup or Product Support.
- Select Software Update.
- Select Network. Skip this step if it’s unavailable.
- Select Yes or OK to install the update.
How old is my Sony Bravia TV?
If you need to know the year of manufacture of your TV, look at the model number, there is a letter in the number that indicates the year of manufacture. Sony makes a particular TV model for about one year from the second quarter to the second quarter of the following year.
Why does my smart TV say ethernet not connected?
Make sure that the Ethernet cable is securely connected to the TV and to the router; if possible, try other LAN ports on the router. Make sure that the connection is active by disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the TV and attempting to access the Internet using a computer or similar device.
How do I test my Ethernet TV?
How do I test my Ethernet TV?
- Click the HOME button on your TV remote. Navigate to Settings and select it using your remote.
- Select Network in the General menu.
- Select Network Status.
- On this screen, it is possible to see the status of the network. In addition, you can check your IP settings and try to reconnect.
What if my TV doesn’t have an Ethernet port?
If your TV doesn’t have an ethernet cable, don’t fret just yet. You can also connect your TV to the Internet using a wireless network connection, which comes as a built-in feature on many modern TV models.
What does an Ethernet plug look like?
An Ethernet port is a little wider than a phone jack. Because of this shape, it’s impossible to neatly fit an Ethernet cable into a phone jack, which makes it a little easier when plugging in cables. This is what an Ethernet port looks like. It’s a square with a couple of rigid areas at the bottom.
What is the difference between the Internet and the Ethernet?
The internet connects users from all over the world in a single massive network. Devices on the internet can talk to one another using the global infrastructure. Ethernet connects devices in a local area network (LAN), which is a much smaller collection of interconnected devices.
How do I find my Ethernet port?
Refer to the owner’s manual for your computer. Contact your computer manufacturer. Look for an Ethernet port on the back of your computer (it will look like a phone jack but a little bigger). The presence of an Ethernet port indicates that a NIC is already installed in your computer.
What is a Sony LAN adapter?
A Sony Wi-Fi Adapter is a wireless adapter that enables users to conveniently access their home wireless Internet connection on their Sony high-definition television.
What is a Sony USB wireless LAN adapter for?
Use this USB wireless adapter to access your computer’s wireless network on your compatible HDTV or Blu-ray Disc theater system.
What is a USB wireless LAN adapter?
What is a wireless USB adaptor? A USB adaptor lets you connect wirelessly to networks, even if your device doesn’t have a wireless network card. Once you’ve purchased a USB adaptor, you’ll have to see whether it connects automatically to a wireless network. You can find this out in the instruction manual.
How do I enable Ethernet ports on my router?
How to disable or enable Ethernet port adapter in Windows 10 ,8.1, 8, 7
What is the Ethernet port called?
A LAN port is also known as an Ethernet port. Both terms refer to exactly the same socket on computers, servers, modems, Wi-Fi routers, switches, and other network devices.
How do I switch from wifi to Ethernet?
How to Switch From Wifi to Ethernet
- Get the Right Equipment. Modem. Ethernet Cables and Switches. Built-in Internet Stations. Shielded Cable. Type of Ethernet Cable. Powerline Adapter. EMF Meter.
- Plug-in the Ethernet Cable.
- Connect the Devices.
- Turn off WI FI.
- Final Test.
How do I know if my Ethernet cable is working?
At the plug where the LAN cable connects, modems usually have a light indicating the signal strength. A green light indicates a good connection. Yellow or red lights indicate signal problems. If the light is not green, then check your connection or test the cable.
Why does my WiFi work but not my Ethernet?
WiFi Works, but Ethernet Doesn’t; Some Reasons. Now, there are a host of things that can be causing this. There could be issues with the ethernet cable itself, the modem, the hardware of the computer or laptop, the operating system, or maybe just a minor glitch that needs a refresh or a reset!
This article refers to LCD models like Sony Bravia and aside from Android TV. If you have an Android TV from Sony, refer to a separate guide on how to connect an Android TV to a network through your home Wi-Fi.
The steps to connect your TV to a home wireless network and Internet is different with a smart TV with a built-in wireless LAN versus one that’s wireless LAN-ready. The LAN-ready one requires extra things (like a separate adapter).
- “Connect your LCD TV to a network using a wireless (Wi-Fi) connection“, Sony.com Support, Retrieved April 12, 2022