You can connect the iPhone to your TV in order to play local videos or stream Netflix using HDMI or an adapter for HDMI (USB-C to HDMI). Just watch out for HDCP on your HDMI connection. Netflix uses it to block mobile streams mirrored to another TV or monitor.
If you were connecting an iPhone or iPad to an Apple TV it couldn’t be easier. They’re made to connect to each other and mirror or duplicate their screens. However, it gets tricky when attempting to connect your iPhone to a non-Apple or third-party product.
For one thing, the HDCP (copy protection) built into the HDMI tech will block any Netflix signals. For another thing, it might involve all sorts of HDMI adapters. So let’s discuss. How to connect iPhone to TV.
How to Connect iPhone to TV
To connect your iPhone to a TV, get an adapter cable that matches the inputs of your television. If it’s an Apple TV, you can connect the iPhone to it with AirPlay or Airplay. As much as possible and for the best results, use an HDMI cable. It provides you with the highest quality possible.
You might need a Lightning or USB-C to Digital A/V Adapter available from Apple too. You can also avail of third-party options for an input conversion. However, they lack HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection). Without it, you won’t see streaming service apps on your HDTV.
If you’re using a monitor with a VGA input instead of an HDMI input,
Connect with HDMI, VGA, or Adapter
High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI) connections are quite ubiquitous at this point. All HDTVs and some PCs have them. Even Apple is using HDMI ports or adapters for their PCs, laptops, and phones in order to keep up with the commonplace standard.
If you have an older monitor with an A/V input like RCA composite, S-video, or component video, you can get a Lightning to AV Adapter from Apple.
However, it’s usually cheaper to get a Lightning to VGA adapter for VGA computer monitors. Some have the USB-C port instead, so you’ll need a USB-C to HDMI or VGA adapter instead.
After getting the adapter, do the following:
- Connect the adapter to the HDMI, A/V, or VGA cable.
- Connect the cable to an input on your TV or monitor.
- Plug the adapter to your iPhone’s Lightning or USB-C port.
- Use the remote control or the TV control panel to input you’ve attached the cable to the TV.
- Select “HDMI1” or “HDMI2′” as well as “AV1” or “AV2” depending on the available ports used.
Adapters vs. Converters
An adapter allows your iPhone to interface with various AV cables, from analog RCA composite connections to the latest HDMI specifications. If everything were to go smoothly, you should see the phone’s display mirrored unto your TV.
You can use multi-port adapters to allow you to charge the iPhone will connecting to the A/V cable. However, any boxy or console adapter is better classified as a converter. An adapter should be limited to some sort of cable or connector that changes the connection end of your video cable.
The converter is an outright black box that can charge your phone and convert or split signals from audio to video. In short, an adapter is smaller and simpler while a convert is bigger and more complex.
What to Expect from the Connection
The TV should serve as your monitor, duplicating the portrait or landscape resolution of your phone. This will make it dodgy on bigger display, resulting cropping or a letterboxed look. However, when you show videos and photos on your screen, the full sharp resolution will be sent to your TV.
Most resolutions of things like videogames and apps fit the small screen of the phone though, resulting in pixilated versions on the bigger display when push comes to shove.
Some adapters feature an extra Lightning or USB-C port. You can use this to plug into an A/C adapter. This empowers your phone while connected to your TV. You’ll just have to buy an extra A/C adapter and Lightning cable to use it since Apple doesn’t include such with their cable adapter.
How to Wirelessly Screen Mirror the iPhone on Your TV
Another way to connect your iPhone to your Apple-compatible TV is to do a screen mirror. Sometimes, a direct HDMI connection isn’t enough or can’t be read by your TV. Therefore, you’ll need to mirror your screen display through this guide to establish a wireless iPhone connection.
You can avail of dongles, apps, and things like Chromecast in order to mirror your iPhone on your smart TV. It has to be a smart TV because an older TV won’t read wireless connections without any additional help like with a wireless adapter device.
Connect via Wi-Fi and AirPlay
Here’s how you can go about screen mirroring wirelessly:
- Same Wi-Fi Network: Connect your iPhone to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV or smart TV with AirPlay or Airplay 2 compatibility. Turn on your TV and make sure it’s displaying the Apple TV screen. Non-Apple-TV compatible TVs won’t be able to do this.
- Go to the Control Center: Open the Control Center of your iPhone by swiping down from your screen’s top right side corner. If you have an iPhone 8 or earlier model with an iOS 11 or earlier operating system, access the center by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.
- Connect to Apple TV: Connect your iPhone to the Apple TV by tapping on the Control Center’s “Screen Mirroring” button. You’ll get a prompt with your device name on it as part of a list of available devices. Select your device and mirror your mobile display on the TV.
- Connect TV to Apple TV: You can also daisy-chain your Apple TV to your Apple-compatible TV in case you want to watch with separate or twin screens. It’s also a viable way to display your iPhone’s Netflix app on a projector while bypassing the HDCP.
- Quick Tip: When playing a video on your phone, the orientation or sizing of the video should auto-fit the screen of your HDTV. If this doesn’t happen, try using Airplay to connect to your TV and get the screen to fit properly.
How do I mirror my iPhone to my Samsung Smart TV?
- Make sure that your iPhone or iPad is connected to the same local network as your Samsung TV.
- Launch the Mirror for Samsung TV app.
- Turn on notifications for this app.
- Click on Start Mirroring to start mirroring on the TV that is currently selected.
- To stop mirroring, there are two options.
Why can’t I mirror my iPhone to my Samsung TV?
iPhone screen mirroring or AirPlay not working on Samsung TV
Make sure that both your iOS device and Samsung TV are connected to the same internet connection. Check both devices for the latest update. Restart the router. Restart your iPhone and Samsung TV.
How do I connect my iPhone to my Samsung Smart TV wirelessly?
How to Connect iPhone to Samsung Smart TV (Wireless)
Why can’t I mirror my phone to my Samsung TV?
Here are some tips if you’re having trouble mirroring your phone or tablet: If your phone or tablet will not display, it may need permission from the TV. Restart your device and TV, and then try connecting again. Make sure to select Allow when it displays on the TV.
Is there an iPhone app for Samsung Smart TV?
Whether it’s the Apple TV app or Apple devices, they all work seamlessly with Samsung Smart TV.
Why is my TV not showing up on the screen mirroring my iPhone?
Make sure that your AirPlay-compatible devices are turned on and near each other. Check that the devices are updated to the latest software and are on the same Wi-Fi network. Restart the devices that you want to use with AirPlay or screen mirroring.
How do I use screen mirroring on my Samsung TV?
What is Screen Mirroring?
- Connect your Samsung smart TV and your device to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Download the SmartThings app onto your device.
- Open the SmartThings app.
- Tap Add Device.
- Select your TV or Scan your TV nearby.
- Tap on your TV and connect to your device.
- Tap on your connected TV and tap More Options.
Do Samsung TVS have screen mirroring?
Wirelessly Screen Mirror to a Samsung Smart TV
Smartphones running on Android 4.2 or newer operating systems include a screen mirroring technology. For example, if you’re using a Samsung smartphone to screen mirror, it may include something called Smart View, Samsung’s version of screen mirroring.
How do I connect my iPhone to my Samsung TV without airplay?
You can purchase a Lightning Digital AV Adapter directly from Apple for $49. You’ll use this adapter to connect your iPhone to an HDMI cable. Connect the HDMI cable to your TV, then connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the Lightning Digital AV Adapter. Your iPhone screen will instantly be mirrored to the TV.
How do you connect an iPhone to a Samsung?
How to Transfer Your Content from an iPhone to a Samsung Smartphone
Where is AirPlay in settings on iPhone?
On the iPhone, down from the upper-right corner to open the Control Center. Tap and hold the Music control area, then select the AirPlay icon. Choose a device to connect over AirPlay.
Why can’t I AirPlay on my Samsung TV?
Airplay might not work on your Samsung TV if the firmware of the TV or the OS of the host device (like a Mac) is outdated. Moreover, the wrong configuration of the Samsung TV’s Settings (like Auto Protection Time, IP Remote, IPv6, etc.) may also cause the issue at hand.
Where is SmartThings on my Samsung TV?
Use SmartThings on the TV
Press the Home button on your remote, and then navigate to and open SmartThings. If needed, sign into your Samsung account. The smart devices you’d added to the SmartThings account on your phone will appear. You can add, view, monitor, and control them right from the TV.
How can I mirror my iPhone to my smart TV?
Mirror your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a TV or Mac
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV, AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, or Mac.
- Open Control Center:
- Tap Screen Mirroring .
- Select your Apple TV, AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, or Mac from the list.
How can I mirror my iPhone to my TV?
Mirror your iPhone on Apple TV or a smart TV
- Open Control Center on your iPhone.
- Tap. , then choose your Apple TV or an AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV as the playback destination. If an AirPlay passcode appears on the TV screen, enter the passcode on your iPhone.
Why can’t I mirror my phone to my TV?
Wireless Screen Mirroring
First, check to see if your TV and Android are Miracast certified. If not, move on to the second option. Assuming both your devices are Miracast certified, ensure that your devices are on the same Wi-Fi network. Then enable screen mirroring on your TV and your Android device.
Why won’t my iPad mirror to my Samsung TV?
The Samsung TV does not support screen mirroring.
Try restarting your gadgets, including your television and your phone. Using the same WiFi network, pair and connect your phone to your TV. Turn off the Bluetooth on your television. Take advantage of a third-party screen mirroring technology if possible.
Why is my screen mirroring not working?
Disable Bluetooth on the TV. Screen mirroring usually works over a WiFi connection and so you do not need Bluetooth enabled on your TV. Since Bluetooth is a wireless technology, it may cause interference with your connection. Turn the Bluetooth feature off on your TV and then try again.
Does Samsung family hub work with iOS?
Yes using Family Hub app on iOS.
Can you transfer everything from an iPhone to a Samsung?
If you are moving from an iPhone to a Samsung phone, you can use the Samsung Smart Switch app to transfer your data from an iCloud backup, or from the iPhone itself using a USB ‘on-the-go’ (OTG) cable.
Does Samsung smart fridge work with iPhone?
You need an app called “Family Hub” downloaded to either your Apple or Samsung phone and this is where you can interact with the fridge and the rest of the family. You will need a Samsung phone if you want to mirror the phone screen onto the fridge. I own this fridge model and an iPhone and it works perfectly.
You can connect your iPhone to your HDTV via micro-HDMI, Lightning to HDMI adapters, USB-C to HDMI adapters, and converters. You can also establish a wireless connection on an Apple-compatible smart TV to wirelessly mirror your iPhone screen unto the TV via Airplay.
Then again, if you merely intend to watch Netflix on your TV via iPhone, it’s actually easier to just buy a Roku media player or Amazon Fire TV Stick to do it for you.
- Dave Johnson, “How to connect your iPhone to a TV using AirPlay, screen mirroring, or a simple cable“, BusinessInsider.com, March 12, 2021
- “4 simple ways to connect your iPhone to your TV“, AllConnect.com, March 16, 2022
- “Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch“, Apple.com Support, Retrieved April 10, 2022