If you’re new to the world of Chromecast, here’s how you can go about connecting Chromecast to TV. Learn how to use it through this simple walkthrough.
Chromecast allows you to mirror or duplicate the screen of a smartphone or tablet to a bigger monitor or TV even if neither of the devices features the screen duplication or mirroring feature. The gadget serves as their screen mirroring medium, long story short.
How to Connect Chromecast to TV
If you wish to stream video content on different screens around your home, Google Chromecast gives you one of the cheapest and most efficient solutions to that need of yours. You might wonder how to use the device in the first place if you’re new to the tech. Here’s the deal.
- Plug Chromecast Device to Your TV: Chromecast connects to your TV’s HDMI port. It has a USB cord for power. You can plug it into the USB port of your TV or on the wall outlet using the included power adapter in order to power it up. Only use that AC adapter, by the way.
- Download the Google Home App: Go to the mobile device that you wish to duplicate screens with and download the Google Home App for it on the Google or Apple App Store. Setup Chromecast and use the app to access it.
- How to Access Chromecast by Google Home: Follow the setup instructions for Google Chromecast setup on Google Home then cast content. This involves going to “Add”, “Setup Device”, and “New Device” then following the setup instructions for Chromecast.
- How to Access Chromecast by Google Chrome: Open Google Chrome on your device then cast a Chrome Tab on your TV by clicking or tapping the Cast icon. You can download the Chrome web browser if it’s not already part of your app collection.
If your device restarts as you’re casting, try casting the content again right from the top.
Which Devices Can Chromecast Stream to?
Even though all of Google’s supported text for the device discussing connecting the dongle to the TV, the list of supported devices for Chromecast proves more extensive than what that implies. In order for Chromecast to work, the dongle requires a USB power supply and an HDMI connection.
- HDMI Input: The HDMI connection supports any screen with an HDMI input. This includes modern HDTVs, smart TVs, PC monitors, projectors, and similar equipment. However, you can’t use a Chromecast dongle to cast content on a gadget with an output-only port.
- Output-Only Ports Not Allowed: This means that game consoles like the Xbox series of devices, laptops, iOS mobile devices, Android devices, and so forth can’t make use of Chromecast to cast Netflix content from your TV to them.
- Chromecast Ultra: You need a high-speed Internet connection and a 4K-capable TV to use Chromecast Ultra to its utmost potential. Otherwise, it won’t miraculously turn a standard HD or Full HD video into Ultra 4K content if your TV can’t even support 4K.
How to Use Chromecast on Mobile Devices
To cast the Android screen on Chromecast, open the Settings app. Go to “Connected Devices”, “Connection Preferences”, and “Cast” then choose the Chromecast device from the list you wish to cast. Make sure everything works in the same Wi-Fi network.
If you’re an iPhone or iPad owner, you can only cast content from your device to Chromecast if the app you’re using natively supports the functionality (like with Netflix). It should feature the TV screen icon for “Cast” if there’s support.
You need Replica instead of Chromecast to cast your entire iOS screen to your TV.
Connect Your Chromecast to a Wi-Fi Network
Connect your Chromecast to your local Wi-Fi network in order to properly use it for your office or home. This involves making sure the device you’re using to setup the dongle—usually an iPhone or Android smartphone—is on the same Wi-FI network as your Chromecast device.
Chromecast cannot be setup from your computer. To make this connection, you need the Google Home app from the app store of your device instead. Afterwards, navigate towards “Add”, “Setup Device”, and “New Device” then follow the on-screen instructions to setup the dongle.
How to Use Chromecast on Mac
If you wish to stream a video or your entire desktop screen on your HDTV (you can use Airplay instead with your Apple TV), then follow the process below. To wit, it involves the following steps:
- Launch Google Chrome then go to “More” or the Three Vertical Dots then press “Cast”.
- Choose your Chromecast destination among the options.
- Click on “Sources” to cast the entire screen, a Chrome tab, or a file (like a video).
- Allow Chrome to run on your Mac throughout the whole casting experience.
- Shut off Chrome or click the “Cast” button again to end the cast.
How to Use Chromecast on PC
You can use a myriad of methods to cast your PC content to a television set with the help of the Chromecast dongle. All the approaches involve the Google Chrome web browser in one way or another.
Please take note that Chromecast devices only work with Windows 7 machines or later.
- Multipurpose Chrome: Chrome allows you to stream content found on a Chrome tab or your entire desktop. You can also stream the content of a file—preferably a video file although audio files can also work—from your PC or phone to your HDTV.
- Start the Cast: Launch Chrome, go to “More”, and then to “Cast”. A new Window should pop up that shows all the Chromecast devices (audio and video) available on your network. Click on a device, like the nearest HDTV with the dongle attached, to select it.
- Choose the Sources: Now you can go to “Sources” to choose whether Chromecast casts a tab, a file, or your entire desktop. You’re required to leave the Chrome tab open and running in the background even if other apps are running on your PC.
Why won’t my TV connect to Chromecast?
Disconnect the Chromecast from the HDMI port and if the Chromecast is plugged into the power source, disconnect it. Turn on the TV and reconnect the power source to the Chromecast device but do not put the Chromecast into the TV HDMI port. Wait 30 seconds. Plug the Chromecast device into an HDMI port on the TV.
Why is my Chromecast saying no signal?
Make sure the Chromecast is plugged using the power cord and power adapter that came with the Chromecast. The Chromecast should be plugged in directly to a power source. The LED light on the side of the Chromecast should be lit up. Make sure the TV is tuned to the same HDMI input as the Chromecast.
Why is Chromecast not showing up on Chrome?
You can usually see it in the top right hand corner of your browser if you’re in need of an update. All you need to do is close Chrome down and re-open it in order for the update to compete properly, and this may bring the Chromecast button back for you.
What app do I need to use Chromecast?
To set up your Chromecast, you’ll need the Google Home app (formerly the Google Cast app), available on iOS and Android.
How do I pair my phone with my TV?
How to Connect Your Phone to the TV
How do I reconnect my Chromecast to Wi-Fi?
Start streaming in seconds.
- Plug in Chromecast and visit chromecast.com/setup.
- Connect Chromecast to your Wi‑Fi network.
- Tap the Cast button in a cast-enabled app.
How do I know if my Chromecast is working?
Network Status Check
- Launch Google Home.
- Select Devices in the top-right corner.
- Select the 3-dot menu for the Chromecast itself.
- Select Settings.
- Near the top, you’ll see the name of your Chromecast, and just below you’ll see which Wi-Fi network it’s connected to.
Why isn’t my TV showing up on cast?
Make sure that your device and the TV are connected to the same home network. Also, make sure that your device and the TV have the correct time settings. Update the Google Cast app to the latest version by following the steps below: Press the HOME button on the remote.
Do you need WiFi for Chromecast?
You can use Chromecast on devices without Wi-Fi to mirror the device’s screen. However, you can’t use Chromecast’s full functionality without an internet connection from a host, as shown in the Google image below.
What does the Chromecast icon look like?
The Chromecast button is usually located at the top right-hand corner of the screen. It looks a lot like a Wi-Fi signal but angled to the right within a rectangular outline. The Chromecast icon should display when you open an app that is able to cast a video from your Andriod device to your TV screen.
How do I cast my phone to Chromecast?
Cast your entire Android screen
- Make sure your mobile phone or tablet is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast device.
- Open the Google Home app .
- Touch and hold the tile of the device you want to cast your screen to.
- Tap Cast my screen. Cast screen.
What’s a chromecast do?
Google Chromecast is a unique device that plugs into any TV or monitor with an HDMI port, and can stream content from your phone or computer onto the big screen. You don’t have to pay any subscription fees to use a Chromecast, although you’ll still have to pay for services like Netflix and Hulu to access them.
How do you reset a Chromecast?
From the Chromecast device
- While the Chromecast is plugged into the TV and powered, press then hold the button on the back of the Chromecast. The LED should start to blink yellow.
- When the LED light turns solid white, release the button, and the Chromecast should then reset.
For Good Measure
You can use Chromecast to mirror screens on your television, Android phone or tablet, PC, Mac, iPad, or iPhone. If Blackberry had lasted longer than it did then Google might’ve found a way to mirror a Blackberry’s screen onto any smart TV or PC monitor as well.
You typically need to plug the Chromecast device to the TV with USB power then download the Google Home App on your mobile device to make it all work.
- “How to cast: A quick start guide“, Google.com Support, Retrieved April 16, 2022
- Dan Price, “How to Use Chromecast: A Guide for Beginners“, MakeUseof.com, July 15, 2021
- “Cast video from Chromecast-enabled apps to your TV“, Google.com Support, Retrieved April 16, 2022