You typically have to use an HDMI-ARC cable to an ARC-supported HDTV set in order to connect your Bose speaker to the TV. You can try things like a Bluetooth transmitter or wireless dongle to make the speaker wireless as well if you wish.
You can connect Bose soundbars and speakers to your HDTV through an HDMI cable. It can also work with optical or Bluetooth wireless connections. As for Bluetooth, this depends on whether or not the HDTV has Bluetooth capabilities or not.
In any case, let’s discuss how to connect bose to tv. You mostly need to use the HDMI-ARC (Audio Return Channel) port in order to establish an audio connection. You can also use an optical cable depending on the HDTV.
How to Connect Bose to TV
You can use HDMI-ARC, eARC (Enhanced ARC), Optical, or Bluetooth in order to connect the Bose speaker to your smart TV. The most widely used and best method by our estimation is the HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC port. Second is optical port.
It depends on your soundbar and TV. You should search for the best connection method in accordance to your circumstances. Bluetooth usually isn’t supported by soundbar or TV unless you’re using a Bluetooth transmitter or two-way Bluetooth transmitter.
How to Connect by HDMI-ARC or eARC
HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) serves as a priority connection because this standard offers high-quality, high-definition, and high-fidelity sound when push comes to shove. It’s the preferred connection method as far as we’re concerned.
- About eARC: This preference also goes double for HDMI Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC). When using eARC, you should be able to hear the latest Dolby and DTS sound tech versus the pretty basic offerings of ARC. So eARC is simply better than ARC.
- Check for Labels or the User Manual: Your HDTV should feature either HDMI-ARC or eARC labels on the jack if they’re available. Otherwise, check the user manual of the device or even the online specs on the official Bose website for more details.
- Non-ARC HDMI Typically Have Optical: A primitive HDTV or HDMI-supported TV should have an alternate speaker jack to connect your Bose speaker or A/V receiver with. Typically, this is optical TOSLINK or SPDIF. Otherwise, it might be twin stereo 3.5mm RCA phono jacks.
Specific Steps to Connect with HDMI-ARC
Follow the steps below in order to connect using an HDMI-ARC cable and port.
- Turn off the Devices: Turn off both your soundbar and TV. Get your HDMI cable then connect to the HDMI-ARC port. It’s still the same cable and premium cables are reserved for 4K resolution video not necessarily hi-fi audio.
- Connect Ends Together: Connect one end of the HDMI cable to your HDTV and the other end to your Bose soundbar. Take note that most Bose soundbars have multiple ports available.
- Turn on the Devices: Check if your connection is successful by turning on both your speaker and your HDTV. Switch to a channel, open a video on Netflix for streaming, or listen to the menu sounds.
- Change Audio Output and Input: Usually, you need to first change the audio output on your TV settings to start hearing sounds. In some TVs, it’s automatic and they can detect the presence of the Bose speaker. Change the audio input to HDMI on your soundbar too.
- Change Settings at Will: Depending on your HDTV model, you should easily change the settings of your TV and soundbar at will, from the volume levels to how it sounds. You can even mute the sound if you wish.
Once you’re done with setup, you should hear sound from your Bose soundbar right away. You can also reset your soundbar then attempt to connect again. Some settings might conflict and prevent sound from getting transmitted to your speaker as well.
Using an Optical Cable Instead
The HDMI specification without HDMI-ARC can’t support outside speakers because it doesn’t have a two-way streaming capabilities required for such a setup. In these cases, you’ll have to make do with either an optical connection or an optical adapter.
Usually, it comes in the form of optical TOSLINK. Other TVs support SPDIF. Most go for TOSLINK though. This cable is stiff and when pinched can result in signal interference so be careful how you handle it.
Using Bluetooth Instead
You need both a special Bose speaker with Bluetooth support as well as a smart TV with Bluetooth support in order for this to work. If either the TV or the soundbar lacks support for this feature, you’ll need to install a Bluetooth transmitter on one of them for the Bluetooth to work.
- Set Things Up if Available: If both have Bluetooth, just put your Bose speaker in pairing mode by turning it on or setting it up with the pairing mode button. Afterwards, go to your TV settings, select Bluetooth, and select your speaker from the list of devices.
- What If the Speaker Isn’t Available on Bluetooth? Make sure your speaker is turned on and in pairing mode. If you can’t even find the Bluetooth feature, it could be that your HDTV lacks Bluetooth. Or its Bluetooth signal is quite low level and doesn’t allow audio connection.
- Two-Way Bluetooth Transmitter: Many modern devices come with Bluetooth but older devices do not. If both devices lack Bluetooth, you’ll have to invest in a two-way Bluetooth transmitter. Or you can get a wireless Wi-Fi dongle to do the same thing.
- HDMI vs. Bluetooth: The sound quality of wireless Bluetooth isn’t as good as a solid HDMI connection the same way Wi-Fi Internet isn’t as solid as Ethernet cables. However, for most undiscerning people, the audio quality of Bluetooth or wireless speakers is good enough.
- Wireless Conversion Kit: You can get a wireless HDMI conversion kit in order to give you HDMI-quality sound wirelessly by Wi-Fi. Cable solutions are still superior but it’s better than what you can hear from a Bluetooth connection.
- Super Convenient: A Bose Bluetooth speaker with a Bluetooth-supporting HDTV is super convenient because it’s wire-free. You can place the speaker anywhere you want, especially if it is battery powered.
How do I connect my Bose speaker to my Smart TV?
How Do I Pair My Bose Speaker To My Tv? You can find the Bluetooth Speaker List or Bluetooth Audio Device in Settings > Sound on your TV by selecting Sound Output > Bluetooth Speaker List. You can pair and connect your Bluetooth audio device to your TV by selecting it, then clicking Pair and Connect.
Why won’t my Bose speaker connect to my TV?
The TV speakers may need to be turned off and the output may need to be set to Fixed or External Speakers. (Tip: If there is no fixed output option, you might need to turn up the TV volume to max to hear it through your Bose speakers—even if the TV speakers are turned off.)
Can I use my Bose speaker with my TV?
Designed with simplicity in mind, the Bose TV Speaker uses a single connection to your TV via an optical audio cable (included) or an HDMI cable (sold separately), so you can go from unboxing to watching in no time. Learn how to continue using your current remote or use the included Bose TV Speaker remote.
How do I connect my old Bose to my Smart TV?
Plug the cable into the Aux-In port on the Bose speaker and the Audio Out port on the television. Choose the Source option on the Bose remote and set it to AUX to finalize the sound connection. Turn on the television sound and it will now play through the Bose system.
How do I connect my old Bose to my Samsung TV?
‘ To bridge the connection between your TV and the Bose system, choose the HDMI alternative. When using the optical cable for your connection, connect one end of the cable to your Samsung TV’s optical output port. The other end should then be connected to the digital audio input port to the Bose system.
How do I connect my old Bose 321 to my Samsung Smart TV?
How to Connect Bose 3-2-1 System to a TV Set
- Plug one end of an HDMI cord into the empty HDMI jack on the TV.
- Plug the other end of the HDMI cord into the Bose media center unit’s empty HDMI jack.
- Use a standard RCA Composite (yellow) video cable to connect the Bose unit if there are no HDMI jacks on the TV.
How do I hook up my old Bose to my Samsung Smart TV?
Plug the cable into the Aux In port on the Bose speaker and the Audio Out port on the television. Choose the Source option on the Bose remote and set to AUX to finalize the sound connection. Turn on the television sound and it will now play through the Bose system.
Why is my Bose not connecting?
For Android devices, try clearing stored Bose app data from the device. If using an Android device, you can clear the app data that the device stores for the Bose app. This will erase all Bose app settings so you can start fresh. To do this, go to the device Settings menu and look for the Apps menu.
Why won’t my Bose Soundbar connect to my TV?
Reset the HDMI connection by resetting both devices and the cables connected between them. Turn off the Bose system, the source device and the TV. Unplug the Bose system, the source device and the TV. Disconnect two HDMI cables at both ends and reseat them ensuring secure connections.
How do I connect my Bose soundbar to my TV with HDMI?
Bose Soundbar Systems – Using HDMI™ ARC
How do I turn on my Bose Soundbar with my TV?
Once both your TV and soundbar are ready to pair, take the following steps.
- Press and hold the Bluetooth button on your soundbar or remote.
- Find the Bluetooth menu on your TV.
- Find the Bose soundbar from the list of available devices on the Bluetooth pairing menu.
- Select the device to pair them.
How do I connect my Bose 900 soundbar to my TV?
Bose Smart Soundbar 900 – Unboxing + Setup
How do I connect my Bose Lifestyle 28 to my TV?
To assign the optical audio input:
- On the remote control, press the Settings button.
- Scroll down to select System Setup, then press the Enter button.
- Scroll down to select Optical Source.
- Scroll left or right to select the button on your remote that will choose optical audio (AUX, VCR, TAPE or TV).
How do I connect my Bose Lifestyle 38 to my TV?
Bose Lifestyle Systems – Using HDMI™ ARC
How do I connect my Bose speaker to my LG TV?
With your TV powered on:
- Select the Settings icon.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- From the Sound menu select Sound Out.
- Select LG Sound Sync Bluetooth from the list, then select Detect.
- Choose your LG device from the list to pair.
How do I connect my Bose 700 soundbar to my Samsung Smart TV?
Connect an HDMI cable from the HDMI ARC jack on the soundbar to the HDMI ARC (or eARC) jack on the TV, then tap Next. Tip: HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) lets the TV to send audio to your soundbar. If the TV does not have an HDMI connection labeled ARC or eARC, use an optical cable to connect the TV to the soundbar.
How do I connect my Bose 321 optical cable?
To assign the optical audio input:
- On the remote control, press the System button.
- Scroll right to select Media Center.
- Scroll down to select Optical Source.
- Press the Right arrow button to select the optical source options.
- Scroll up or down to select the button on your remote that will choose optical audio.
How do I make my Bose discoverable?
How to Pair Bose Soundlink Speaker to a Second Device
- Press and hold the Bluetooth icon on the speaker until the indicator light blinks blue. The speaker is now in pairing mode.
- Enable and pair your phone or tablet’s Bluetooth settings:
- The Bluetooth light on the speaker will blink blue when it’s ready to connect.
How do I make my Bose speaker discoverable?
How Do I Make My Bose Speaker Discoverable? You can enable Bluetooth toggles on Android devices by going to Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > tapping the Bluetooth toggle switch. Bose Soundlink can be found by selecting Pair New Device > Bose Soundlink.
How do I pair my Bose Bluetooth?
Using Settings within the Android Menu
- Locate and tap the Apps Menu.
- Locate and tap the Settings icon.
- Select the Bluetooth. You may need to select Connections first.
- In the list of Available Devices, choose the Bluetooth accessory you wish to pair with.
How do I get my TV to recognize my soundbar?
To set up HDMI ARC, power on your TV and soundbar.
- Next, connect one end of an HDMI cable into the HDMI IN (ARC) port on your TV.
- Connect the other end into the HDMI OUT (TV-ARC) port on your soundbar.
- Next, change the source on your soundbar to the D.IN.
Why is my soundbar not working with my TV?
Unplug the TV and soundbar for 10 seconds, and then plug them back in. Sometimes, reestablishing the HDMI “handshake” between the TV and the soundbar can fix minor malfunctions. 8. Update the firmware in the TV and soundbar, and then cycle the power.
Why is my Bose Soundbar not pairing?
On the Bluetooth device, try turning Bluetooth off and then back on to start a new search for nearby Bluetooth headphones and speakers. If your product still doesn’t appear, go to the Bluetooth settings of the device and look for an option to search or scan for available products.
Is it better to connect the soundbar with HDMI or Optical?
To begin with, HDMI ARC is the best choice if you want the absolute best audio quality possible. It supports all the latest audio formats, and lets you use the same remote for all devices. Moreover, it helps you eliminate tangled cables and clutter. On the other hand, optical cables still offer decent sound quality.
What is the HDMI ARC?
The Audio Return Channel (ARC) connects your TV and audio system with a single High Speed HDMI® cable and eliminates the need for an additional composite audio or optical cable.
Is ARC HDMI better than optical?
HDMI ARC is a better option. It supports Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, and up to 7.1 channels of uncompressed audio while Digital Optical only supports Dolby Digital and up to 5.1 channels of uncompressed audio.
The Final Score
You can connect the Bose speaker to your TV with the HDMI-ARC jack. Just check if it’s the right specification of HDMI then connect either end of the cable to the jack on your speaker and HDTV. If you lack HDMI ports for your Blu-Ray Disc player or cable box, think about investing in a splitter.
Go to your TV menu to enable ARC and CEC to allow the Bose speaker to work under ARC or eARC. If your HDTV lacks ARC functionality, you might instead need to connect via optical cable instead.